Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's here, half way (the DSM320)!

So yesterday a package lands at my front door (actually the package looked like something landed on it) and I don't think it's the post office's fault as the package was over stuffed. I opened the box and found all the bits and bobs for the D-Link DSM320, Well what bits and bobs there were. There were no cables, manuals, or CD. The manuals and CD are not a problem as I downloaded those the other day from D-Link. The remote, WiFi antenna were there and so was the DSM3200. But the most surprising thing was that the power cord is not for US use (ARGH!). I searched the Internet for European plugs and found that it's a Australia/New Zealand 3112 without ground pin. I checked the power supply and it can handle anything from 110 - 230Vac and 50/60 Hz. That means a zip cord for now (2 insulated alligator clips on a standard AC cord). So I will not being doing business with this company again! I just hope this thing works. So it's off to Radio Shack. Thankfully, there's one nearby that still has some of the electronic parts and a manual switch box. I've got to hook up an XBox, Tivo, VCR, funky little game system (another toy D gave me), external connect from my digital camera and the DSM320 to the TV. Wonder were I'm going to put the Myth box when I get around to building that. :-)

Update: I built a zip cord and made sure the line goes to line and neutral to neutral (otherwise I could cause an electrocution hazard). I was able to bring up the wired network connection, configure the device and play music (I have nothing else on my server yet). I'm now fighting with wiring it into an existing TV/Tivo setup. I want to put a VCR in between (so I can wire everything else through the auxiliary input of the VCR). So far that isn't working very well.

PPS: It turns out I didn't properly read the Amazon ad for the DSM320, it did clearly state that the unit was purchased in Australia/New Zealand, my bad. In the end I do have a working unit so I shouldn't complain. :-)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 2/21/2007 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you need to hook the MythTV box up to the TV? Can't you use the DSM320 to play the (future) MythTV video?

I read somewhere that newer versions of MythTV support uPNP for video, so you'd just have to locate your MythTV box somewhere on the network.

RyanE

 
At 2/21/2007 7:18 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Ryan, thanks for pointing that out! I don't know if MythTV can stream or serve the video for the DSM320. I did a quick search via Google and it may be possible. Wow, if that works, I could keep the existing Tivo (wifey doesn't like me messing with her TV setup) and I could set the MythTV box else where. Then I could get another DSM type device and feed both TV's. Hmm still going to need another cable box for the setup (argh!). I should be able to hack the DSM320 OS to add or save the commands I need. Worse comes to worse I can add more flash or possibly nfs. :-) I think it uses Linux 2.4. I love toys!

My 2 reasons for getting the DSM320 was it was a neat toy and it ran Linux so I should be able to hack it. I discovered after I purchased it that it is the device Terry wrote about in the book. Terry Collings wrote the Part III except for the Asterisk section.

 
At 11/05/2009 1:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I know this is old, but I was wondering if you were ever able to do anything with the DSM320. I have one that's been collecting dust for a couple of years now because of it's lack of functionality as well as WPA wifi.

I'm thinking about reviving it and perhaps trying to do something with it if I'm able to modify the OS or UI.

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home