Thursday, February 15, 2007

My friend is a trouble maker ...

My friend, 'D', is a trouble maker of the highest quality! He knows how and where to find the best 'junk' that's get my curiosity going every time. One of the first things I remember was the CM11A and an X10 module. He knew I wouldn't run Windows to use it so I'd go out and find the communications details or I'd just sniff the line and figure it out. There have been many devices since then I just can't remember them all. They're basically devices which the manufacturer has discontinued or it something he's interested in. The latest toy is the Linksys WMLS11B Wireless-B Music System. So we dug into the device to see what it can do. We searched Google and found the Yahoo tech group: wmls11b and other bits and pieces such as the format of the Radio update. While trying to figure out the WMLS11B I recalled that Terry wrote a chapter on using Twonky and I read through it. Well I've been playing with Twonky media and it seems to work well for MP3's (I recorded almost everything I have in ogg, argh!). The Twonky server will deliver the ogg but the WMLS11B won't play ogg. I've tried GMediaServer but it too won't trans-code ogg to MP3. I tried to compile MediaTomb but it can't find some part of my mysqlclient software (???). I've also run UShare, it a fine UPnP server but I wasn't able to get any further with it. Lastly I used Slimserver it works by setting the favorites entry on the WMLS11B but because Slimserver i sn't a UPnP server (its a client) I can't use it any other w! ay. Also I have to set Slimserver and then select favorites to use it. I've also been able to control the WMLS11B from the Slimserver web page to get it to play music. Not what I really want. I intend to get a few more WMLS11B devices and I found a D-Link DSM320. I purchased that because it ran Linux and a few people have hacked it. From what I read it seems pretty buggy but I found the kernel (it runs Linux) and I intend to get it working. It was cheap and probably somewhat limited but it sounds like a fun toy. Which is the point of all this (to learn while 'hacking'). I don't know, maybe I've got a few more chapters for the book. One on Twonky, the WMLS11B and the NSLU with Unslung 6.8-beta We brought that up last night (it was the boys hacking night). So more work ahead but at least it will be enjoyable.

5 Comments:

At 2/18/2007 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

regarding MediaTomb... you need either sqlite3 or MySQL - we are using a database to store the metadata that we could gather from the media files.

If you try it I recommend using the latest SVN code, the last released version is outdated.

By the way, packages for the NSLU2 are also available http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/

A note on Home Automation; we provide an experimental feature - ActiveItems - that could be used to control stuff around your home from the UPnP server. Contact us if you have any questions :)

Greetings,
Jin

 
At 2/18/2007 12:22 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Cool! I'll give that a try in the next few weeks (mid-term exams are coming up). I'll contact you via email about the ActiveItems. Thanks for the link to the NSLU2 package. That should prove useful!

Now that I have my DSM320 (see my newest blog entry for that sad tail). I'll be spending more time with the servers.

Thanks for the reply, that's enough for me to go back and try MediaTomb again! :-)

 
At 11/01/2007 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get DSM320 work with Linux? I use DSM320 to watch movie files on TV. I am thinking about changing to Ubuntu from WinXP. But I am trying to find away to still use DSM320. Any updates?

 
At 11/01/2007 6:16 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

I haven't had a chance to touch it. The place I work recommended I get my Bachelor's Degree and I'm not arguing with them. I've only recently gotten back to being able to do any programming. I do have the material but I've made no further progress.

 
At 2/28/2008 8:58 PM, Blogger joat said...

You might want to try out Cidero (http://www.cidero.com/). It allows you to interface the DSM-320 with a bunch of other stuff. I use it to connect to Icecast or Slimserver, so's I can listen to whatever on the stereo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home