Thursday, December 08, 2005

My first step towards using Insteon

I'm in a really good mood! I spent the last few days working on Perl code to use the Serial PowerLinc V2 (Insteon controller). Yesterday I disconnected my CM11A from Misterhouse (MH) and replaced it with my PowerLinc! I'm now running MH with my iplcs code. So far I only have the On and Off code working. I need to work on the rest of the code (DIM, PRESET DIM, STATUS, Extended, etc.) but I'm happy to finally gotten this to work. So over the next few weeks I'll be testing my code. I need to put together some kind of package so others can use it. After that I'll get to adding an Insteon package to properly support Insteon devices. Right now I'm just using them as X10 devices. Unfortunately I also spent a bit more time on this than I would have liked to. So now it's back to the book.

On the book front, I did managed to get part of it reorganized such that it now has a section on Misterhouse (that's several chapters). The book now has at least 2 authors, which is a good thing as I'm much slower at writing than expected. Writing is book is difficult. Knowing how to do something and explaining it so others can do it is really tough. I now have a much higher respect for the entire process of writing a book. But I still may be stupid enough to do it again. ;-) Hopefully this book will be good enough so people will want to buy it.

8 Comments:

At 12/08/2005 1:48 PM, Blogger Myles said...

Neil, do you mind me asking who your publisher is?

 
At 12/08/2005 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the full protocol for Insteon devices freely available like x-10?

One other question, since i'm thinking of getting a few devices..can they be polled for status (at least the light switches)?

 
At 12/08/2005 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myles,

I don't think the publisher would mind, it's Wiley. It's a '... For Dummies' book but don't let the name fool you. I've written a chapter on Asterisk, 2 on X10, working on Wireless Networking and then Misterhouse. The other Author will be working on Multimedia and some other stuff.

 
At 12/08/2005 7:10 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Marc,

This is a tough one to answer. Technically it's no but I spoke with the Insteon folks and told them that when the code is released that people are going to be figuring things out. The Insteon folks didn't have a problem with that.

As far as polling goes, all the Insteon devices (well except for the SignaLincs) are pollable. The PowerLinc V2 can poll any device which is enrolled with it. The PowerLinc can also poll the X10 devices that support Status (such as the LM14 (?) device).

Myles,

Sorry about the anonymous post, that's mine.

 
At 12/08/2005 11:46 PM, Blogger Myles said...

Neil, need any technical reviewers for your book? I've reviewed a few others (programming books) for other publishers.

 
At 12/09/2005 1:20 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Myles,

Lets take the review discussion offline. Use my gmail account linuxha.

Sorry for the lack of direct link but spammers abound!

 
At 12/16/2005 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like i'm getting the serial developer kit for christmas :)

 
At 12/17/2005 8:17 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Ah my plan for world dominance is finally coming to fruition! Come Pinky much work needs to be done!

Narf!

;-)

I don't know which software you'll be using but do let me know. I've been quite surprised at the response I've gotten. Several people are using the Misterhouse software and several more have asked for controller recommendations (see my latest blog for my opinion on that subject).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home