Thursday, November 10, 2005

Lots of little goodies

I've been busy with my book (which is not going well as the Asterisk chapter is eating up way too much time!). But in the mean time I found out I could get AT&T Call Vantage (I'm an employee) and I'm going to hook it up to my Asterisk setup. Wish me luck (through the SPA-3000). :-)

I also managed to get a Cisco 7960 phone working with Asterisk and my Apache server. I had to upgrade from the Cisco Skinny version 5.0 to SIP version 7.4 (I did it by upgrading to 6.3 then 7.4). The SIP setup is very easy, just like any other SIP phone. For some reason I didn't need to have multiple lines defined to receive more than 1 call. But I did define 3 lines just so I could have more lines. The XML files are real easy to build and I'm using the Cisco::IPPhone Perl module to properly generate various other messages (took the Asterisk Perl weather code and converted it from speaking to sending to the Phone). The XML seems to be a bit version dependent and only certain XML commands are available on certain versions (email me for further details). Cool phone, great quality (sound and feel) not sure if it's worth the cost (you need to purchase the phone and software separately) for hacking but it has high geek points when it's sitting in the living room of a automated home! :-)

Lastly, I ordered my Nokia 770 and it will be in by Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait to get my hands on this. Basically it's an Internet tablet and I'll be using it as a front end to MisterHouse. I'm not sure what it can do but I hope at least it has as many features as the Audrey. I guess we'll see.

5 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that your using a Nokia, right now I am using a re-furbed Gateway/AOL Connected Touchpad -- soon to be upgrading to a Fujitusu Stylistic 1200...Having your controls right by your bed ... or even just carrying them around with you is pretty cool...

 
At 11/10/2005 12:59 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

I have 2 Audreys and a Virgin iConnect (?) and I know you can find other tablets or touch screen devices. I just wanted soemthing I could say to someone just starting out. Hey this is avaialble, get it here. The other require Ebay or some other service to get one. Then you need to do a bit of hacking.

The Nokia 770 looks like it will be ready from the 'git-go'. The only down side I'm hearing about is that the price appears to be around $430 (US, unofficial). If it's priced that high it won't go anywhere. It needs to be less expensive. I'm hoping to have the unit in my hands Monday and play time begins! ;-)

 
At 11/18/2005 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's been an interesting week. My server died last night, the WRT54G stopped routing, I managed to get the Asterisk chapter out the door and I'm posting from my Nokia 770 Tablet. The N770 looks like it's going to be avery good tablet. so far I haven't added anything to it just using it to do basic tasks. I can send email to Gmail but receiving is a problem. I can browse the web (the screen is very readable) and I can post ;-)- So far, so good.
And yes I'm posting anonymously, I'm having trouble with my password. It's going to be a long weekend building a new server.

 
At 8/07/2007 10:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, did you ever get your AT&T CallVantage working with Asterisk? I called AT&T to get the SIP user/pass and they told me that it was possible and even suggested that they "knew I was a smart person and suggested that I look at the packets."

So, I was thinking that the md5secret setting in sip.conf would get me where I needed to be, but

 
At 8/18/2007 10:51 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Hi Joseph,

While I could hack the Callvantage device you have to remember that I work for AT&T Labs. I would never give out that kind of information. Kind of "not biting the hand that feeds me", as it were. But that doesn't matter either way. I discontinued the service as I needed the cash more than I needed the redundant service. I kept the AT&T copper line as that stays up when the power goes out. My VoIP service depended on Comcast's Internet access which fails when the power is lost. I discovered this when we lost the power for several hours. All my equipment is on uninterruptible power supplies everything stayed up except my connection to Comcast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home