Sunday, August 07, 2005

DOH! Better support ...

I just to went to Active House Pro - SDK forum, looking for an update on CM15A information we've been asking X10 for (it's been 9+ months). X10 promised that when things calm down they would provide the information. So far the Open Source community hasn't seen anything (we are unimpressed). Now lets compare this to a competitor of X10, Insteon. The other day I received a call from Insteon asking if they could help me in any way (very nice). I explained the situation and asked if I would be able to get my hands on a USB controller later after I've gotten that far in my work. Their response was yes, no problem. And I did explain that this was an open source project (not commercial, nothing for sale). The folks at Insteon seem to understand and they don't seem to have a problem with that. So why am I wasting my time with X10. Hmm ...

1 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 3:27 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Thanks for the compliment. :-)

Dr. Chueng has one of my favorite sites I love the way he solves complex problems. Here's a link which should work Dr. Edward Cheung's web site.

I'm am a little worried about all the RF, I'm not sure we have enough bandwidth for all the garbage being thrown at it. I have 5 802.11G networks within 100 ft of my home and the average age of my neighborhood is early 50's. The AC lines are workable and I can clean that up (security is another matter but a problem for both media). I'm sticking with Insteon for now it seems to be a step in the right direction (some RF, some PLC).

My degree is in Electronics (though I'm working on Comp. Sci. too). I love this stuff. Circuits and code, I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home