Sunday, September 04, 2005

Oops, did it again ...

... 'cept this is the first time. In a recent comp.home.automation newsgroup thread, Dave Houston pointed out that the Insteon License was rather stiff. So I went back and re-read the license and I have to agree with Dave on this one. Of course, like a bone head, I released my insteond software under the GPL. The 2 licenses are incompatible so I need to remove my software package from the net. I really need to pay more attention. My excuse (a bad one) is that I've been rushing about, dealing with licenses and contracts ('cause I'm writing a book, more on that in a minute). Now really that's a bad excuse but that's what I did and the rectify this situation I've removed the software. I'll work with Insteon to see what we can work out, I've already sent an email to Bob Cusey and I have a few ideas. They've always been willing to work with the developers and I think they'll work with the Open Source community in the same good faith. Sorry to cause such trouble.

Now back to my comment about a book. I've signed a contract with Wiley to write: 'Linux Smart Homes for Dummies'. It's about home automation, under Linux (the ideas should work under and *nix & Cygwin for Windows) using Open Source software. It should cover using X10 (maybe Insteon if we can resolve the above and I have enough time to write software), Asterisk, IP camera's, weather software and a few other things. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I'm excited because HA is my passion and terrified because I don't explain things that well (Yipes!). Anyways, the BLOG will be a little slow as I have a lot of work over the next few months. I will be hosting the book's web pages on my LinuxHA web site. The site is not really properly setup but I do have the HA Forums in place. Currently there is nothing there as I haven't written the book so it's hard to discuss the book without it being written. ;-)

2 Comments:

At 9/12/2005 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Neil, good luck with the book.
--Gordon Meyer

 
At 9/12/2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Thanks Gordon, funny how life has a way of making you eat your words! :-)

For those of you who read this blog (yeah both of you) Gordon Meyer wrote: Smart Home Hacks. I found it to be a good book and I don't have a MAC (but I do have the book). :-) My book will be different but still Home Automation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home