Sunday, July 06, 2008

Please allow me to introduce myself ...

I'm currently involved in a few projects but none so interesting as the OpenRemote project. At the moment I'll keep mum about it as we'd like to get a little more organized before we start bragging about how we're going to conquer the world (I think we will). Needless to say, it's home automation (domotics). :-)

For the benefit of those who will be working with me I'd like to create an informal resume, so they know what my strengths and weaknesses are.

  • Name: Neil Cherry - code monkey, hardware jockey, networking expert, and general computer geek. The reason I say code monkey is that I am not a formal programmer, I took a few courses but have no degree in it and I don't program as a living though I do use programming at work.
  • Personal background:
    • male, mid 40's, married, live in NJ.
    • Started in computers in the late 70's - 110 baud, teletype and modem to a mainframe
    • My first computer is an Atari 800XL w/Omnimon, I still have it.
    • Current OS of choice: Linux (distribution: multiple)
    • Editor of choice: emacs (yes, I'm one of those).
    • Language of choice: C and Perl, though it really I'm more of a 'right tool for the right job' kind of guy.
    • Started home automation with x10 and the Heathkit serial interface (the CP290). I currently have X10, Insteon, Z-Wave, digital, analog, weather stations, cameras and a lot more stuff. My current home automation software of choice is Misterhouse but I'm working on something new.
    • My current employment has me working on Cisco routers with various protocols. I test to make sure the routers/hardware/protocols/applications work properly in the managed services. Often this involves writing Perl scripts to make my tests repeatable. In past 'lives' I've designed router networks (upwards of 500 router networks) for managed service customers, done repair of electronics, written/debug! ged firm ware and applications, and worked with various embedded hardware, software and protocols.
  • Education: EET-AS - 1986, CS-AS, Telecommunication-BS (to be completed in 2009), I am planning on getting a Masters of Science in the near future. I haven't decided what yet. Pretty sure it's going to deal with computers and I hope home automation. On most computer subjects I am self taught. I have quite an extensive library of books. My notes are kept online to make them easier to search.
    • Electrical Engineering Technology - AAS, Middlesex County College 1986.
    • Computer Science Transfer - Middlesex County College, no degree as MCC says that some of my courses are now too old (English, History and Bowling for example). I suppose Napoleon really didn't lose at Waterloo, I guess I'll never know.
    • Telecommunications-BS - In progress (2009), Pace University (expected Fall - 2009).
  • Hardware background:
    • General TTL and analog circuits
    • wire wrap
    • small, one-off custom PCBs
    • some PAL work but not much FPGA
    • Lots of networking (RS232, RS485, current-loop, ethernet and wireless (much of the Ethernet and WiFi off the shelf)).
    • Various processors and micro-controllers
      • 6809 - my favorite processor.
      • 6502, 6800, 68000.
      • 8051 family - easy to use
      • PIC (14 bit family) - I have a love/hate relationship with these. ;-)
      • AVR - really like these micro-controllers
      • MSP430 - love the low power modes
      • EZ430 - Just starting with this.
  • Programming background:
    • I don't do much GUI work
    • Lots of embedded, communications and device drivers
    • Solder, if you don't understand then you probably don't do much hardware. ;-)
    • BASIC - Not Visual BASIC
    • Assembler - for all the above, IBM mainframe, and x86
    • C/C++ (I like object oriented but I don't like C++)
    • Perl
    • Java (apps and applets)
    • Javascript (and HTML and CSS which are not languages or programming)
    • lots of other language I use very little of anymore (PASCAL, LISP, Tcl, shell, DOS bat files, etc. ).
  • Operating systems: well too many so I'm not even going to bother. But I will say that I started using OS-9 (not the Mac stuff) on the 6809 before I started using PC DOS. DOS seemed like a step backwards.

2 Comments:

At 7/12/2008 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may find my experiences with openembedded, grub, and CF to be of interest. See http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer/grub.html

 
At 8/03/2008 1:42 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Oops, sorry about that Joe, I meant to thank you publicly for the information at your page: Grub and OpenEmbedded. I found the information very useful, thanks! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home