Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sheevaplug, neat device!

My friend D picked up a few Sheeva Dev Kits and decided to see what it can do. Now I've got one of them and by coincidence 'MisterBazyle' created a MisterPlug page for MisterHouse. So my goal is to put together MisterPlug. :-) So far the upgrade of the OS on the Sheeva didn't go well. I think most of the problems were with the OS drivers (both Windows and Linux) for the Sheeva's serial console/JTAG port. I went to the Plug Computer Forums and asked around. They were very helpful and I was finally able to get the Sheeva upgraded properly. So now I can begin to play. :-)

The Sheeva is a very interesting device. It uses only 7 watts of power but runs a 1GHz Arm processor with 512M of RAM and 512M of Flash. It has a Gigabit Ethernet interface and 1 USB Host port (there is a USB slave port for the serial console/JTAG). While this doesn't sound like much it is enough to control your home. The USB port should be fast enough for many devices to be interfaced and newer devices are now supporting Ethernet. I intend to put the MisterHouse software on a SD flash card. I'll probably need some kind of way to send the logs to a remote machine and only keep a small queue of the most recent messages in memory. That means software needs to be written. The DB is another story and I haven't figured that out yet. I'd like to avoid excessive writing to the flash card if possible. It will be a few weeks before I can say for sure how well this is going but I expect it to work quite well. As usual, more to follow ...

3 Comments:

At 4/12/2010 6:54 AM, Blogger Net Spore said...

I'm using MySQL and Ruby on Rails on my Plug. I was worried about wearing out my SD card too, and I wanted faster performance. So I took one of my old hard drives and mounted it in a USB box and connected it as a USB storage device.

 
At 4/12/2010 7:08 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

My SD was faster than my USB memory stick but that may be a quality issue. I'll try one of the drives I have to see if that still holds true. It may end up being a bottle neck when I start hooking up the USB serial and IO devices. There could be queuing delay problems with all the traffic on the single USB. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

 
At 9/27/2010 12:15 PM, Blogger Brandt said...

I'm running Heyu on mine. I am in the US, but have been following NewIT's procedure for multiboot with debian squeeze on an SD card. They provide great support on their forum and have SD card image files and u-boot environment variables shared with end-developers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home