Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Asus EEE 1005HA review Pt 2

As I posted earlier, My friend D got me a really nice Asus EEE 1005HA Netbook and up to this point I was really happy with it. Yesterday (2009/10/27) the power supply died. I search for power supply problems and I found a few but not enough to suggest an overall problem with this line of computers. What I did find was that the RMA process was filled with horror stories. So I went and ordered a replacement and we'll see how well that goes.

Other than that I really love working with this machine. I put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on an SD flash chip and everything works. On the Windows side I put Safari, Opera, Firefox, IE8, Open Office and FBReader. The machine is great for reading documents and I put a boat load on the machine (including a bunch of PDF and CHM files). I hadn't attempted to do any development work on the machine as I think the small screen and keyboard would have gotten in the way. The keyboard is fine for general use and use as a dumb terminal (I work on network equipment). I've only had it for a week and I already miss this machine. I've been toting it everywhere an that's what I miss most. So if I can resolve this power supply problem I'll be happy again. We'll see how that goes.

7 Comments:

At 10/28/2009 5:23 PM, Anonymous Ed Davies said...

Didn't the early EEE Netbooks have a generic 9 V or 12 V or something input? Has this changed for the more recent machines?

 
At 10/29/2009 11:49 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

The 1005HA has a small 19v DC power supply with a tiny connector.

Once I get the new power supply I intend on taking the old one apart to find out what the failure is.

 
At 10/30/2009 8:14 AM, Anonymous Ed Davies said...

Thanks. That's a pity. Being able to run them directly off a car battery or whatever was a minor plus.

 
At 11/02/2009 11:14 PM, Blogger SJ-21 said...

Asus sells a car charger that uses a cigarette lighter outlet to power the eee pc. I bought one about a year ago from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HL0NE4

 
At 11/03/2009 12:27 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11/03/2009 12:32 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

(sorry I'm tired and posted with spelling mistakes)

Letcher, that adapter costs more than a new power supply. It's good to know but at $47+ it's rather expensive. The replacement power supply costs around $34 with shipping. In the mean time I'll take out the lab power supply and adjusted it the correct volt and current to power it up. I'm stealing the cord from the current dead power supply. I'll do that when I'm not tired. Bad things happen when your tired. ;-)

I've already taken the old supply apart. It's tight and the smt parts are really tiny (smallest I've ever seen) but no components with obvious failures or hot spots. So I'd guess someone is cutting costs by skipping hot soak tests where infant death is usually caught.

 
At 11/04/2009 5:04 AM, Anonymous Nisha Acharya said...

I've heard its not good to use car charger to charge it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home