Monday, December 15, 2008

Wile E. Coyote, Photo(?) Super Genius!

iGala Wi-Fi Linux Based Photo Frame ... Super Genius, I like the way that sounds (Wile E. Coyote - Warner Brothers Cartoons) I just saw this while poking around on the internet. It's up on ThinkGeek and it seems like an interesting toy to hack. Its the Igala WiFi Linux Photoframe and at $239 (plus S&H) it's pretty expensive for a photoframe but it's not too expensive as a touchscreen. :-) I can't seem to find a size but it's an 800x600 touch screen Linux WiFi (b/g and WEP) computer. As long as it's hackable then it's not a problem. I found the web site: iGala and it's parent company: Aequitas Technologies LLC. So far I see no reference to the Linux source code, which I'll need as I don't use WEP in my home. We'll see how the source code issue plays out. Right now I won't cause a stink unless I get a direct no. Of course I won't be asking for the source code to their apps. Those are usually closed source and I have no problem with the mix under Linux. I do prefer open source as it makes it easier to fix things when they break. More on this later.

6 Comments:

At 2/23/2009 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you advance any further with this in terms of hacking it? What version of linux is it running? I cant find a spec anywhere.

 
At 2/23/2009 11:21 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

I have gotten one yet and with the various project I have to work on this one is low man on the totem pole, sorry. Still an interesting device.

 
At 1/14/2010 10:02 PM, Blogger Archie Cobbs said...

Any updates on hacking this device?

 
At 1/15/2010 1:33 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

I've stepped away from this product as I wasn't too happy with the way they were supporting it. I instead went with the AlwaysInnovating Touchbook. It's a little more expensive but much more open. There are little things I don't like about the software but the hardware seems to work well. Given that this is a Alpha/Beta product I think it will do well. I hope to have more on this product at a later date. I only received it a few weeks ago and I've had many other things to do since then.

 
At 1/15/2010 1:56 PM, Blogger Archie Cobbs said...

Thanks for the update. The AI device does look pretty cool, and they are being very Linux-friendly. The iGala folks are not very talkative. They do claim they will have an SDK available in March 2010, though no details yet.

 
At 1/15/2010 4:39 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Hmm, I originally posted this in Dec 2008 and here we are Jan 2010 and no open SDK (over a year). They seem to be willing to work with their partners. I can understand that but I don't appreciate being ignored that long. They're loss, Always Innovating's gain.

BTW, many of the distributions that Always Innovating have are a bit buggy including the Android distribution but they're there and you can downlaod them. I'm most interested in Android as it looks very promising.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home