Sunday, September 07, 2008

I'm so tired!

These last few weeks off from school were supposed to be relaxing but for some odd reason they haven't been. I'm still exhausted. I have a lot of work to do there. Uhm, ah never mind.

With tropical storm Hanna rolling through the area I'm stuck indoors with time on my hands. So I wrote programs. The first was a simple php redirect.php so people who get http error 404s on my web pages get a custom page and, within 10 seconds or so, get redirected back to my main page. If I didn't do this they were redirected to what looks like a cyber-squater's web page. I really don't like that! I also keep a list of redirect URLs so I can figure out which pages are missing or otherwise giving me trouble. Oddly enough it worked really well. I kept getting older URLs that I've changed in the last few months. It took me a while but I discovered that my sitemap file needed to be updated.

Also I updated my linkcheck program. I've been using this software since 2000 and it's still useful. Not many people use it but I know at least a few do as the older version had my email address in it and I still get emails from sites that haven't updated the software (argh!). The newer versions takes care of that and I've added a lot of new features and fixes. Odd I never really gave much thought to how useful my programs might be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home