Last week my friends and I sat down for our 'hack session' which is really nothing more than our weekly excuse to get together and tear into technology. We've been doing it since the 1980's and we've been quite creative (we're not black hats). This week it was my friend's NSLU2 and Twonky. For some odd reason the NSLU2 didn't want to start up and of course this meant that Twonky didn't start up either. After much haggling we settled on upgrading the NSLU2 (and three others) to the latest Unslung firmware release (6.10 - Oh, OpenWRT Kamikaze 7.09 is available, more upgrading to do). Once that was taken care of everything went well. While we were at it we took one of the other NSLU2s and loaded MediaTomb on it. Other than it's odd interface it worked really well. This is good as Twonky isn't supporting the NSLU2 anymore and I prefer Open Source. I don't know what our next session will be but we'll be using the NSLU2, Linksys WMLS11B and the D-Link DSM320. It'll probably be more MediaTomb as it has some really cool transcoding capabilities. :-) In simple terms it means that the WMLS11B can now play Ogg audio files (or FLAC or any other audio format you might think of). Well almost, MediaTomb translates (transcodes) it from Ogg to Wav or MP3 (my choice). By similar means MediaTomb can transcode a YouTube Video to something that the DMS320 can use to show on your TV set. Now devices that have been discontinued can still be used and adapted to support newer technologies. Now that's cool.
At home I decided to learn more about MediaTomb. So I pulled down the source code (and there is a lot of it as it's features depend on external packages) and compiled it up. I did use the package manager on Unbuntu but I still wanted to go the long route of compiling for use on my main HA server. I currently have v0.11.0 installed but found out that I wanted some features that are only in the SVN release. So some more upgrades (I'm running Fedora 6 on the server - I really should get that Centos upgrade installed) and some more compiles, which went easier than the 0.11.0 compiles and I'm almost ready to install the SVN version. If all goes well I may write up a replacement chapter for my book. But with school that won't happen any time too soon.