Saturday, December 20, 2008

Diary of a Future-Home owner

A few weeks ago Jack Ganssle, in his news letter: The Embedded Muse (issue 170) found something I had been looking for but couldn't remember enough details to find. A particular humorous, but fictious, HA story that I read in 1996. Twelve years ago Christina Vasilakis wrote her Fine Arts master's thesis on House of the Future. This would seem an odd combination, Fine Arts and the topic of Future-Homes, except she was also working on a Master's in Computer Science (I don't know which she received first). Either way this thesis is unique in that it's not strictly from the technical background of a computer scientist but also that of a fine arts major. The part I like best is the Diary of a Future Homeowner, it's a funny read about HA gone awry. I may attempt to do my own updated HA humor but not right now. I started working on it but it's become too long and it needs a lot of work. I'll post it as a web page at a later date.

2 Comments:

At 12/22/2008 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, came across your blog while I was reading about zwave. Anyways, have you ever checked out linuxMCE? Another linux smarthome platform im partial to, but thought I would toss its hat into the general ring.

 
At 12/23/2008 1:52 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Yes, I've seen the LinuxMCE project. I'm hoping to pull the information on using one of the ZWave interfaces I have to build a command line interface. I commented about both (LinuxMCE and ZWave) in a couple of previous blogs on the subjects. For right now I'm going to stick to working on the rest of the smart home technology but not from the entertainment system. I'll stick with Misterhouse and OpenRemote. The LinuxMCE folks seem to have the Entertainment portion pretty well covered.:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home