Sunday, June 21, 2009

IPV6 is coming, IPV6 is coming!

Recently Comcast announced that they will embrace IPV6. While they are just trialing this through 2010 eventually it will become the standard method to access the internet. As it currently stands we'll still be able to get to IPV4 addresses that already exist (probably through dual IP network stacks). My concern is for the day when Comcast will no longer give me an IPV4 address at my firewall. If that should happen then my IPV4 only devices might not be able to get to the internet. I'm certain this will require I investigate this further to come up with a migration plan for my network from all IPV4 to a mix of IPV4 and IPV6. I'm also certain I'll need to learn how to properly secure my network for use with IPV6. I have a number of IPV4 devices that are too old to upgrade. Most of those devices don't need to reach the internet. Since I'm putting together a plan I've also decided that I'll upgrade my present firewall to an ALIX2D2 with 2 LAN and 2 miniPCI, LX800, 256Mb, Dual USB. A 500MHz, x86 SBC with 256M of RAM and at least 1G of Flash storage. Load Linux and a firewall and I'm in business. I'm also looking to add some much needed tools such as a bandwidth monitor. Comcast has promised they'd deliver a bandwidth monitor back in January, but here it is almost July and nada!

I'm looking at BuildRoot so I can learn how to properly put together an embedded Linux system on a Flash card. I currently have several other SBCs (an ARM, AVR32 and an x86) that I need to get up and running. So this is the easiest way to learn. With the ALIX2D2 and my own custom Linux build I'll have a flexible router/firewall setup that will properly handle IPV6 and anything else I may need it to handle. In the interim I intend to put up a IPV6 tunnel so I can experiment with IPV6. I've searched the web for such information and found a lot of older pages with outdated and deprecated information. I'll post my results on my Home IPV6 Networking page.

5 Comments:

At 6/21/2009 3:24 PM, Blogger Jon Smirl said...

Check out 6LoWPAN. It an IPV6 layer for 802.15.4 (Zigbee). Use the Atmel Raven kit with Contiki.

This is relevant to OpenRemote. RF4CE is also related.

 
At 6/21/2009 4:45 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

Hey Jon, major cool stuff! Thanks for sharing. For my main home router 6LoWPAN is not appropriate as I'm not using ZigBee on that machine. I will be looking at it for some other stuff (and for OpenRemote)

I am hoping to look at Contiki with these Futurlec ARM boards. I'd like to see these as IPV6 only at first then dual stack. Maybe later I can get 6LoWPAN with ZigBee on it too. But first I have a dozen other project I need to get to (including the IPV6 migration).

 
At 6/21/2009 9:45 PM, Blogger Jon Smirl said...

You can buy a USB stick and two boards for $99 from Digikey. It would give you some working IPV6 devices to practice with.

Sony, Philips and a bunch of other consumer electronics companies are behind RF4CE. RF4CE is radio based remote controls running Zigbee. They intend to eliminate IR controls in the next year or so.

 
At 6/25/2009 9:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to get involved in helping build Linux based Home Automation systems but I have no idea where I could help out. Do you have any advice on how I can begin to help out in this community? Also, I found this a few days ago and thought that it might be something you would want to use as a touch screen interface: Samsung S3C2240. What do you think?

 
At 7/26/2009 3:19 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

At the moment I'm still looking for a reasonable touch screen. Maybe something with Android on it. I get a 404 with your link but that led to this: Touch Screen search. Thanks :-)

I also have my IPV6 working rather nicely now. Found out one problem was a net mask (RFC changed?). The local stuff is working rather nicely. Next step is the tunnel.

Lastly I just received the ARM2368 board. I'll have to write some test programs for it first to get used to it.

I still have a lot going on. More than enough to keep me pulled in too many directions. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home