Sunday, June 11, 2006

I've finished writing the HA book. Alleluia!

I finally finished writing the Linux Smart Homes For Dummies book. I like the way Amazon has the suggestion that it's 'Better Together' with an investment book. They haven't got a clue as to what it's about. Hopefully the Linux community will great it better. I'm very nervous about its reviews. Since I wasn't the original author I didn't get to choose the index. I did whittle away at it as some things made no sense at all. ViaVoice for instance, it's been discontinued for a while and doesn't work with latest distributions. Perhaps Sphinx will fix that. I did make sure that Asterisk and Misterhouse are both in there but the Asterisk and Misterhouse chapter (actually MH, Asterisk and Festival) had to be removed. We also need to remove Misterhouse and IR. Really that's a shame as those were 2 of my favorite chapters. Terry Collins also wrote a number of chapters. He is my co-author on the book. There were a few technical editors (I'm afraid I don't know their names) and another author of the beginning chapters whose name I don't know (sorry guys). I'd really like to thank the Editors from Wiley. They did a good job of juggling things around so the chapter would say what I was trying to say.

Well now it's time to get back to work on the various home automation projects. I especially want to attack the Insteon hardware problem and I need to work on finishing up the 2 extra chapters.. While writing the book my serial controller went nuts and I now have to figure out what's wrong with it (I have an idea). Plus there's web pages to update, hardware to install and network parts to replace (a thunder storm damaged my network switch). So lots to do so little time to do it.

3 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neil,

Good work! Personally, I'm not a fan of boos "For Dummies" but I understand that they can be useful for other people.
What I'd like to ask you whay you didn't mention about the best open source home automation system (IMHO)Plutohome (plutohome.com) and Linux-based PVR and more - VDR (http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/)? As I know MH is less functional than Plutohome.

 
At 6/13/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

The 'For Dummies' books are fine, they have their place. The reason there was no mention of the VDR is that I didn't know about it. As for Pluto, I haven't used it so I didn't comment on it. I have used MH which made it easier to write about ;-).

Why is Pluto more functional than MH?

 
At 8/14/2006 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a look its list of features. It's huge! Also, Plutohome covers all home areas: security, lighting, climate, telephony and entertainment. Pluto allows to control home by various devices: Windows-based UMPC, Linux-based devices with suport SDL, Simbian-based mobile phones with Bluetooth, CISCO 7079 phones, devices with web interface.
Plutohome has a good structure. It supports plugins and modules. So, it can be extended easily. It supports many devices. For the rest it's possible to create a C++ or Ruby interface.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home