Sunday, November 09, 2014

MQTT and Home Automation

I have a couple of presentations I'm working on, one for TCF (HA), the other MARCH's VCF X (Vintage computers and modern microcontrollers). Also, at work I'm extremely busy automating our testing with Perl, DBI and Netcool. I'm learning that Sybase can be a bit painful but I have learned to deal with it (mostly). Additionally I'm busy learning about Big Data and Hadoop (cool!). Lots of learning, coding and testing. Oddly enough I enjoy this.

Now on to HA, I've be poking around trying to figure out what I want to do with my home automation. I'm currently using Misterhouse (MH) and I want to continue with that but I want to also work on the MH's floorplan software. The code changes I want require that object updates be seen in realtime. This where, I hope, that MQTT comes in. Updates are easy, publish and subscribe. I'm not sure how I'll get MH to publish its updates yet. I'm also not sure how to take care of the object's actions yet but I am working on that. In the meantime I think I might be able to take advantage MQTT to allow my outside devices (Vera) to share information with Misterhouse. I'm hoping I can use it with other HA systems (like the ISY99 or the TCP by Connect). I've also found a nice MQTT client for the Arduino. I'm currently working on an Arduino with Ethernet, temperature and humidity sensors. At the moment, it seems like a good idea but I've investigated other ideas only to find that they add complexity. So, let's see where this takes us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home