Friday, November 12, 2010

ARM, Java, Groovy!

No I'm not having flashbacks to the 60's (with awful memories of teens running around wearing sack clothes chanting something ... ew!). I've been busy working with my Sheeva Plug computer (and a second unit on the way). I have installed Misterhouse on it and I decided to get Java and Groovy thrown on to boot. Misterhouse is written in Perl and I'd like to write my next HA package in something a little more Object Oriented. I'm surprised at how well Misterhouse runs and I'm hoping my new HA package will surprise me as well. Of course the business with Oracle and Java has me considering other options (anything but Oracle!) as a backup.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Perl. It's great for tearing into strings-n-things but it's not objected oriented and converting back and forth between strings-n-things is maddening!. It turns out Java has many of the features I need, OOPs and threads for instance and Groovy removes some of that nasty verbosity that clings to Java. It has that comfortable feeling to removes some of the things that gets in the way of programming. With Java's RegEx library allowing me to tearing into strings-n-things it seems it should match what I'm used to with Perl. Also the Grooysh make it easy for me to experiment with code. So far I've been attempting to get a handle on concurrency but it's harder than it looks. So I've got more reading to do on that subject. I've also been working with RxTX and the Elexol USBIO24. That's been going pretty well. I'm able to talk to and control the IO board with no problems.

For my next project I may attempt to get the Sheeva plug talking to my HCS II via the RS485 port (I have a USB dongle for that). I'll also hook up the HCS serial port to a terminal server I have. That way I can build a network daemon to control the information (I hate the continuous stream the HCS sends out. I only want to know about updates and poll when I need something else). All of this ties back to my DollHouse project and my 2011 Trenton Computer Festival presentation. This year I demo working home automation using the DollHouse.

3 Comments:

At 11/16/2010 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Neil - any chance of posting some details on what you had to do to get MisterHouse running on the Sheeva? It is something I am interested in doing as well. I assume you are usign a USB->RS232 dongle to talk to a CM11 or something like that?

 
At 11/16/2010 9:59 PM, Blogger Neil Cherry said...

I'll create a web page under my DollHouse page (within a week or so). I'll include a full explanation and the cleanup script to help. One thing I did was to trim the main mh script I'll need to include a diff so others can follow to. Finally I'll include a mh.rc file to make sure everything starts up correctly.

My Sheeva has an SD card (4G - class 6 or better, it makes a difference) and I have haven't hooked up the CM11A yet but I do have a USB IO board on it (FTDI - ttyUSB0) and an Ethernet IO board on the network. Since the CM11A is not in use I should toss it on there too. I've been a bit busy with Groovy/Java development on the Sheeva too. :-)

 
At 11/18/2010 6:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks very much Neil - I appreciate being able to see what you have done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home